Richard A. Sherburne Jr.
RICHARD A. SHERBURNE JR. is an "AV" rated member of the firm, practicing for over 30 years in Federal and State courts.
From 2003 until 2007 and again from 2008 until 2016 he was a member of a multi-state firm engaged in a litigation practice. Richard successfully tried a mesothelioma case to verdict in CDC for his client the City of New Orleans in 2011, winning a verdict of no liability.
In the period from 2009 through 2013 Richard served as co-lead counsel for an international construction firm in a large MDL matter in New Orleans, successfully resolving the claims of over 100,000 plaintiffs with a de minimus settlement. In each of those matters Richard's focus in the case was on the expert side of the defense; in the MDL matter he personally took over 40 expert depositions in a variety of disciplines including toxicology, industrial hygiene, epidemiology, construction, design and medicine. Richard also was lead author of the central dispositive motion in the case from the contractors' side; a motion which successfully obtained dismissal of the products liability claims against our client. In the single bellwether trial against his client the jury returned a no liability verdict after 2 weeks of trial. In the period from 2003 until 2013, Richard was co-leader of a team that successfully defended thousands of toxic tort claims against clients, obtaining dismissal of over 95% of the claims in the process.
In 2007 and 2008 Richard served as General Counsel and Administrator of the Louisiana Board of Ethic during a period of substantial, sweeping changes for the Board.
From 1993 until 2003 he served the Louisiana Department of Justice as an Assistant Attorney General, the last several years as Director of the Litigation Division. While at the Department of Justice, he personally represented the interests of the State in numerous Federal actions, particularly in the areas of constitutional law and employment law, including matters such as Hodgkins et al. v. BESE et al., 90cv880, USDC MD La. and United States v. State of Louisiana, 96cv3426 USDC MD La.
Mr. Sherburne is an Assistant Bar Examiner grading the Federal Courts portion of the Louisiana Bar examination. Richard served as a Trial Advocacy Instructor at Louisiana State University School of Law, regularly taught NITA programs, has taught at the Louisiana Judicial College, and has taught at numerous CLE programs over the years.
In 1992-93, and again in Spring 1995, Mr. Sherburne was an Instructor in law and ethics at Bielsko Wysza Szkola in Bielsko-Biala, Poland where he also served as a member of the Board of Directors. From 1983 to 1992 Richard was an Assistant District Attorney in various judicial districts in Louisiana prosecuting felony offenses.
Areas of Practice
- Complex Litigation
- Corporate and Insurance Defense
- Employment Litigation
- Governmental Litigation
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Constitutional Law
- Governmental Ethics
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Louisiana, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1990
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Juris Doctor - 1983
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 1979
- Private Pilot - 2004
- Hodgkins et al. v. BESE et al., 90cv880, USDC MD La.
- United States v. State of Louisiana, 96cv3426 USDC MD La.
- Louisiana State University School of Law, Trial Advocacy Instructor
- Louisiana Judicial College
- Law and Ethics, Bielsko Wysza Szkola in Bielsko-Biala, Poland , Member of the Board of Directors and Instructor, 1992 - 1993
- Law and Ethics, Bielsko Wysza Szkola in Bielsko-Biala, Poland, Member of the Board of Directors and Instructor, 1995
Honors and Awards
- "AV” Rated
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Louisiana Board of Ethics, General Counsel and Administrator, 2007 - 2008
- Louisiana Department of Justice, Assistant Attorney General, 1993 - 2003
- Director of the Litigation Division