Complex Civil Litigation, Criminal Defense & Insurance Claims

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » Speeding linked to 23% of crash fatalities in Louisiana

Speeding linked to 23% of crash fatalities in Louisiana

On Behalf of | Jan 15, 2019 | Firm News |

Speed-related crashes killed 9,717 across the nation in 2017, according to the Governors Highway Safety Administration.

In addition to a campaign to change the culture that allows speeding, the organization recommends speed-calming installations such as roundabouts, bump outs, refugee islands as well as signal timing at intersections and ticketing using cameras.

Louisiana crash statistics

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration offers these statistics about traffic fatalities in 2017 in Louisiana:

  • Deaths: 760
  • Deaths related to speeding: 177
  • Deaths related to DUI: 212
  • Motorcyclist fatalities: 96
  • Pedestrian fatalities: 111
  • Bicyclist and other cyclist fatalities: 22
  • Top five parishes:
    • East Baton Rouge (65 deaths)
    • Orleans (44)
    • Calcasieu (38)
    • Caddo (36)
    • Tangipahoa (31)

Louisiana insurance laws

Speeding increases the energy of a crash, allows drivers less time to react and causes the vehicle to travel farther once braking occurs.

If you are involved in an automobile accident in Louisiana, it is important to report the accident within 24 hours to local, parish or state officers (the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit is one year).

Louisiana uses the “pure comparative fault” system, which allows an injured party to claim damages equal to the percentage of fault.

For example, if you are in an accident and the police determine that you are 10 percent at fault, the other driver is 90 percent at fault and damages are $10,000, you can get $9,000 and the other driver $1,000 in damages.

Damages can include but are not limited to auto repair or replacement, medical expenses, rental cars pain and suffering, lost wages, emotional distress and disability or disfigurement.